I’d like to welcome my new Gold Sponsor Velostrata. Velostrata do something interesting IMO. They are a startup vendor looking to help clients with Hybrid bursting woes and in their words:
“What if you could move production workloads to and from the public cloud in minutes, not months? What if you didn’t have to worry about migrating storage for those workloads? The hybrid cloud vision is to provide on-demand access without the “baggage”—time, complexity, cost, and risk—of migrating storage. Velostrata makes that vision a reality.
Velostrata streams production workloads to and from the public cloud in minutes with a unique architecture that decouples compute from storage. With Velostrata, enabling on-demand hybrid cloud for production workloads is finally fast, simple, cost-effective, and low-risk.”
They have a lot of plans to evolve this product but the use case today is something like this scenario:
Imagine you have your on-premises infrastructure, maybe a Vblock. You have tons of free storage and storage IO but then you are hit with an influx of work that causes CPU spikes left right and centre and the only way to resolve this is to move off some of your VMs. Now what do you do? Turn them off? Go out and buy new servers (which may take months to arrive) to cater for this infrequent spike? Well Velostrata could get you up and running quicker by allowing you to run the extra compute needed on a public cloud like AWS whilst the storage stays on-premises. Wanna know how? Click the advert below (NO REGISTRATION NEEDED). This is some cool shiz going on and they promise will only get better.
This week at the London VMUG I caught up with Alon Goldin, someone I know from a previous life now working for Velostrata which is developing tech to help clients burst from VMware based private clouds into other public clouds like AWS. I love the idea they bring to the table and you should check it out. They have a webinar next week so get registered now!
On-Demand Hybrid Cloud: Stateful Streaming of Workloads in Minutes Please join us for an architecture discussion and live demo of Velostrata’s unique technology – the only solution that streams production workloads to and from the public cloud in minutes. The webinar will be hosted by Velostrata’s Chief Product Officer and Co-Founder, Ady Degany.
Veeam Backup & Replication v9 was released recently.
Veeam V9 includes the following features
- Recovery of entire VMs or individual items
- Fast, agentless item recovery and e-discovery for Microsoft Exchange SharePoint and Active Directory
- Transaction-level consistent restore of Oracle databasesand SQL Server databases
- Lower RPOs and 20x faster backups with backup from EMC, HP and NetApp storage snapshots.
- Fully-integrated cloud-based disaster recovery and fast, secure cloud backup with Veeam Cloud Connect through a service provider
- Automatic recoverability testing of every backup and every replica, every time
- Built-in WAN acceleration to get backups and replicas offsite up to 50x faster than standard file copy
- Unlimited Scale-out Backup Repository™, Direct Storage Access and built-in deduplication and compression
- Disaster recovery and Replication with 1-click site failover and failback with little to no business interruption