Team 18 years ago while I was still a Novell consultant and at work, I was very frustrated with the number of systems I had to log in too. We had NT domains + Novell Edirectory + numerous other dos based systems that had separate logins. I wanted to automate the login process because we had no SSO and I stumbled across AutoIT. Team AutoIT is still relevant today as it was back then. If you have software on a Windows system you can automate it regardless of APIs or not. You can create a small or large bot to automate stuff and its FREE. Here is a recent video where this chap demonstrates its power by automating gameplay. This could easily be an operations tool instead of a game >
I think its time to relearn this tool given my current interests at work…
If you wanted to get started with VMware vSphere APIs watch my UK VMware User Group session last month. Its a refresh of an older session I use to deliver. I focus less now on the SOAP based API and more on the REST based API.
Boom, they just did it… Platinum Sponsor Vembu released a free edition of their Backup Product.
It sports features like on-site, off-site and to the cloud backup hrough single user interface. Another offering of the Vembu BDR Suite is to be able to configure item level backups like Microsoft Exchange Servers, Sharepoint, SQL, My SQL, Office 365, G Suite etc., This latest version of Vembu BDR Suite v3.8.0 has come out with the few notable features in two major offerings- one unlimited features for three virtual machines and the second thing being able to backup unlimited virtual machines with restricted features. Nice hey? You Chose!
This latest Free edition of Vembu BDR Suite was designed to address the setbacks faced by any IT Administrator. Hence making Vembu an important player in the backup market for its enterprise level product for SMB too. This free edition is free forever and IT administrators can continue managing their backups with the trial version without any feature restriction.
In their own words let’s take a plunge into the detailed features of this Free edition.
Unlimited features for Limited environment(3 VMs):
Using the Vembu BDR Suite in its trial version does not require purchasing a license. This category of the Free edition offers unlimited features and few of them are listed below:
- Agentless VMware backups for multiple VMs: Configuring backups for protecting multiple VMs without physically installing any agent.
- Disk Image Backups from BDR Server: Disk Image Backups can now be configured and managed via Vembu BDR Server. Relying on proxy agents is no longer required, unless it’s a distributed deployment which require individual proxy agent installation.
- Full VM Backup: Will backup the entire VM including OS, applications and the data.
- Storage Pooling: Storage Pools are used to aggregate the space available from different volumes and utilise them as a storage for specific backups. The hybrid volume manager of Vembu BDR Server supports scalable and extendable backup storage for different storage media such as Local drives, NAS(NFS and CIFS) and SAN(iSCSI and FC). Vembu BDR provides storage pooling option for both backup level and group level.
- LAN free data transfer using SAN and Hot- Add modes:Vembu VM backup support Direct SAN, Hot-Add and network transport mode to backup the VM data.
- Auto Authorization: Enabling Auto authorization in Vembu BDR allows proxy agents to get registered to backup server using unique registration key generated by respective BDR server.
- Automatic Backup Scheduling: Backups can be automatically scheduled as per the user’s flexibility
- Encryption Settings: Users can now provide additional security to their disk based backup jobs by assigning custom-password to backup server, such that all their backup data will be encrypted and can be restored/accessed only by providing the custom-password.
- FLR from GUI (Backup & Replication): File Level Recovery(FLR) is now available for both backup and replication jobs where user can choose specific files and folders from VMware/Hyper-V/Disk Image backups and VMware replication, to be restored in a quick fashion.
All the above major features are included in this free edition for 3 virtual machines. Let’s get to know those restricted features for unlimited virtual machines.
Restricted Features for unlimited virtual machines:
All the features mentioned above for limited business environment will be applicable for this categories with few restrictions in the features. They are:
- Application aware processing: Configuring them for a Hyper-V environment is restricted but that does not hold good with VMware vSphere Esxi(s).
- Changed Block Tracking: Only the incremental blocks which are changed since the previous backup will been tracked and backed up in the successive backup schedule thereby reducing disk space and time
- Retention Policies: User can retain any number of recovery points of his own choice. They come to great use when it comes to store the backup data.
- Near CDP: Incremental backup can be scheduled every 15 mins to ensure the RPO < than 15 mins
- Quick VM recovery to ESXi: Incremental backup can be scheduled every 15 mins to ensure the RPO < than 15 mins.
- Automated Backup verification: Verify the recoverability of the backed up images and screenshot of the booted Image backup will be mailed
Backup and recovery holds good for both physical and virtual environments and makes granular recovery possible with great ease.You will able to scale out your storage, secure your individual backup jobs with in-built deduplication, encryption and compression that makes its own file system called, the VembuHIVE.
This latest Free edition thus becomes one of the most business-friendly and a complete backup solution. That being said, It can be suitable for both testing and production environments! Their out-of-the box policy- backup for all was hailed even at the recent VMworld event, Las Vegas.
Well, there is nothing left to ponder now. It’s time to make the right decision. It could be done right away with getting started with their Free edition of Vembu BDR Suite on a 30 days free trial. Click here.