Just a little note about the new features of Vembu 4.0 coming soon. Vembu has put some serious cycles into adding a ton of new features into their product.
Some new features include Hyper-V cluster backup in which Vembu support backing up the VMs in the cluster and even if VMs configured for backup are bounced around hosts. Regardless incremental backup will continue to happen without any interruption. VHDxs that are shared are now supported. Vembu can switch between CheckSun based backups in case of a CBT failure. You can now Single sign-on with the new Credential Manager
Not new features but a few existing things have also been enhanced. Position tracking – Backups will resume where they left off if there was, for example, a network failure. You can now configure the specification of the Virtual Hardware during the live recovery. Parameters like the socket count and core counts, memory, hard disk provision type, and network adapter etc etc.
You can now generate a report for Quick VM recovery process with details from the VM job like VM Name, Recovery point, Start and End time, target hypervisor and the status of the recovery.
During the recovery of the backed-up Hyper-V VM, a separate agent is pushed to the target machine for performing the full VM recovery. This nice Hyper-V recovery feature. You can also now select on a per hyper-v VM basis to choose application awareness or not.
Before you couldn’t activate or deactivate a particular BDR server connected to an OffsiteDR server. This has now been enhanced so you can.
A new set of APIs is developed to give a detailed report on storage utilization like the size of the VM, storage space utilized by a backup job, compression rate etc. This reminds me of a tool I built years ago called vDisk Informer.
These guys are rocketing forward with new features and enhancements.
Wanna know more? CLICK HERE
Altaro has launched an exciting contest in celebration of SysAdmin Day on 27th July!
They will be giving away Amazon eGift Cards to the first 100 eligible entries and 1 Grand Prize for 1 lucky winner.
The Grand Prize winner will be able to choose any prize from the following: a Playstation 4 Pro, Xbox One X, a 3-year membership of Amazon Prime and more.
All contest participants will even get FOREVER FREE backup for 2 VMs when they download Altaro VM Backup!
Want to WIN?
Here’s what you need to do to:
- Download Altaro VM Backup from https://goo.gl/BydZkB using a valid work email address
- Set up a virtual machine on Altaro VM Backup and take a screenshot. Only screenshots that show at least 1 VM added for backing up will be considered as eligible.
- Upload the screenshot and the Grand Prize choice at the link you will receive via email once you download Altaro VM Backup
Boom, they just did it… Platinum Sponsor Vembu released a free edition of their Backup Product.
It sports features like on-site, off-site and to the cloud backup hrough single user interface. Another offering of the Vembu BDR Suite is to be able to configure item level backups like Microsoft Exchange Servers, Sharepoint, SQL, My SQL, Office 365, G Suite etc., This latest version of Vembu BDR Suite v3.8.0 has come out with the few notable features in two major offerings- one unlimited features for three virtual machines and the second thing being able to backup unlimited virtual machines with restricted features. Nice hey? You Chose!
This latest Free edition of Vembu BDR Suite was designed to address the setbacks faced by any IT Administrator. Hence making Vembu an important player in the backup market for its enterprise level product for SMB too. This free edition is free forever and IT administrators can continue managing their backups with the trial version without any feature restriction.
In their own words let’s take a plunge into the detailed features of this Free edition.
Unlimited features for Limited environment(3 VMs):
Using the Vembu BDR Suite in its trial version does not require purchasing a license. This category of the Free edition offers unlimited features and few of them are listed below:
- Agentless VMware backups for multiple VMs: Configuring backups for protecting multiple VMs without physically installing any agent.
- Disk Image Backups from BDR Server: Disk Image Backups can now be configured and managed via Vembu BDR Server. Relying on proxy agents is no longer required, unless it’s a distributed deployment which require individual proxy agent installation.
- Full VM Backup: Will backup the entire VM including OS, applications and the data.
- Storage Pooling: Storage Pools are used to aggregate the space available from different volumes and utilise them as a storage for specific backups. The hybrid volume manager of Vembu BDR Server supports scalable and extendable backup storage for different storage media such as Local drives, NAS(NFS and CIFS) and SAN(iSCSI and FC). Vembu BDR provides storage pooling option for both backup level and group level.
- LAN free data transfer using SAN and Hot- Add modes:Vembu VM backup support Direct SAN, Hot-Add and network transport mode to backup the VM data.
- Auto Authorization: Enabling Auto authorization in Vembu BDR allows proxy agents to get registered to backup server using unique registration key generated by respective BDR server.
- Automatic Backup Scheduling: Backups can be automatically scheduled as per the user’s flexibility
- Encryption Settings: Users can now provide additional security to their disk based backup jobs by assigning custom-password to backup server, such that all their backup data will be encrypted and can be restored/accessed only by providing the custom-password.
- FLR from GUI (Backup & Replication): File Level Recovery(FLR) is now available for both backup and replication jobs where user can choose specific files and folders from VMware/Hyper-V/Disk Image backups and VMware replication, to be restored in a quick fashion.
All the above major features are included in this free edition for 3 virtual machines. Let’s get to know those restricted features for unlimited virtual machines.
Restricted Features for unlimited virtual machines:
All the features mentioned above for limited business environment will be applicable for this categories with few restrictions in the features. They are:
- Application aware processing: Configuring them for a Hyper-V environment is restricted but that does not hold good with VMware vSphere Esxi(s).
- Changed Block Tracking: Only the incremental blocks which are changed since the previous backup will been tracked and backed up in the successive backup schedule thereby reducing disk space and time
- Retention Policies: User can retain any number of recovery points of his own choice. They come to great use when it comes to store the backup data.
- Near CDP: Incremental backup can be scheduled every 15 mins to ensure the RPO < than 15 mins
- Quick VM recovery to ESXi: Incremental backup can be scheduled every 15 mins to ensure the RPO < than 15 mins.
- Automated Backup verification: Verify the recoverability of the backed up images and screenshot of the booted Image backup will be mailed
Backup and recovery holds good for both physical and virtual environments and makes granular recovery possible with great ease.You will able to scale out your storage, secure your individual backup jobs with in-built deduplication, encryption and compression that makes its own file system called, the VembuHIVE.
This latest Free edition thus becomes one of the most business-friendly and a complete backup solution. That being said, It can be suitable for both testing and production environments! Their out-of-the box policy- backup for all was hailed even at the recent VMworld event, Las Vegas.
Well, there is nothing left to ponder now. It’s time to make the right decision. It could be done right away with getting started with their Free edition of Vembu BDR Suite on a 30 days free trial. Click here.